The Government of Canada recently introduced special immigration measures to help Ukrainian citizens affected by the war in Ukraine to come to Canada. Given this announcement, we expect a large influx of displaced Ukrainian people to come to Canada over the coming months. We would like to mobilize legal professionals from across Canada to provide the much-needed legal assistance to Ukrainian nationals preparing to come to Canada.
We are currently working on the following initiatives:
- Compiling database of legal professionals. We are looking for legal professionals who can help support our efforts. While the current focus is on finding those with immigration law experience, we invite all legal professionals and students willing to help to sign up. The database will be made available online on our website in the upcoming weeks.
- Preparing educational materials, FAQ sheets and other resources regarding immigration related issues.
- Hosting webinars and informational sessions and establishing pro bono legal clinics.
Recently we held 4 webinars discussing immigration related topics (i.e., sponsorship, refugee considerations, temporary resident visas). The webinars were well received and attracted very large audiences. We are looking for more legal professionals to participate in our informational sessions.
ACTION ITEMS. If you are willing to support our efforts (regardless of whether or not you speak Ukrainian) please take the time to do any of the following:
- Sign up HERE to be added to our database.
- Produce relevant educational materials or resources and share with our network.
- Share information about any upcoming webinars, info sessions or let us know if you are interested in speaking at our sessions in the upcoming weeks.
- Let us know if you are aware of any other initiatives or have any other ideas to support our efforts.
If you have any questions or need more information, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.